Admin Fellowship & Internship Program
The Fellowship Program
The MultiCare fellowship program is a highly visible 12-month, preceptor-directed learning experience focused on developing emerging leaders for our organization. The program provides health system management and administrative experience with mentorship from our senior executive team.
The fellowship focuses on “real world” projects chosen by the preceptor and program coordinator. The interests of the Fellows and the current needs of MultiCare are also considered. The approximate ratio of project work to shadowing is 75 percent projects, 25 percent shadowing.
About Our Fellowship Program
The fellowship is an approximate split between 75% project work, 25% curriculum, mentorship, and career development.
Our fellows lead projects that are important to our future and reflect the complexity of health care leadership roles.
Here is a sample of past fellow projects:
- Developed and managed system’s telemedicine program
- Served as project manager for a master campus facility plan for services in Auburn
- Developed and created a medical respite home for our under-served populations
- Served as project manager for the tele-intensivist project between Tacoma General and Allenmore
- Developed an Accountable Care Organization (ACO) strategy and work plan
- Conducted the physician supply and demand analysis for system expansion purposes
Curriculum: In addition to “learning by doing”, you’ll have dedicated time to focus on your own development through formal classes, networking, a fellow book club, and industry conferences.
Mentorship: You’ll be provided two layers of executive mentorship, as well as regular meetings with the program administrator and mentorship from past fellows.
Examples of past executive mentors include: SVP/Chief Executive of the Puget Sound Region, VP – Care Continuum, COO of Rockwood Clinic.
Our fellows have landed in high need leadership roles such as:
- Program Manager for Population Health Clinical Value
- Project Manager for Enterprise Project Management Office
- Assistant Administrator for Covington Medical Center
- Practice Manager for Rockwood Endocrinology, Nephrology, & Dermatology
See what our past fellows have to say about their experience.
“The fellowship was a perfect balance of exposure, mentorship, learning opportunities and project work. I chose MultiCare because I wanted to learn, grow and work for a mission-driven healthcare organization that offers the full continuum of care.” Katie Judson, 2019 Administrative Fellow
“Through the administrative fellowship program, I learned about the business of medicine more rapidly and comprehensively than I could have achieved through an alternative path.” Joe Miller, 2019 Administrative Fellow
“The MultiCare fellowship was a turning point in my career. The projects I was given were tailored to my personal interests and skillsets, which made for a rich learning environment.” Taylor Rose, 2017 Administrative Fellow
Apply for the Fellowship Program
Application Opens: July 30, 2020
Application Due: September 21, 2020
Phone Interviews: Late September, 2020
Final Interview: Late October, 2020
Start Date: June or July 2021
- Cover letter
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcript
To apply for this position, please visit our job listings and search for the Administrative Fellowship.
Informational Session Slides for 2021
The Internship Program
The MultiCare Administrative Internship program is a summertime opportunity that takes place over 10-13 weeks. Students in a Masters-level health administration, business administration or similar field will be exposed to the complexity of the health care industry through various projects and preceptor shadowing.
The internship program is designed to be approximately 60 percent project-based work and 40 percent learning from leaders within the organization. If selected, you’ll work on a variety of system-level projects and attend executive meetings. With this exposure and visibility, your internship experience is sure to be an immersive, fruitful and rewarding experience.
About Our Internship Program
Previous Internship Projects
- System-wide brand and assessment of outpatient facilities
- Developed business case for Neurogenic Bladder, Kidney Stone Center and Covington General surgery expansion
- Developed plan for centralized telemetry services spanning both MHS regions
- TeamSTEPPS cost/benefit analysis and strategic plan
- Utilized Maptitude software to analyze MultiCare Connected Care network coverage and made recommendations
- Made recommendations to improve ED throughput based on identification of barriers from ED Discharge to Inpatient Admission
- Developed recommendations to grow general surgery market share in South King County
Apply for the Internship Program
Application Opens: December 18, 2020
Application Due: January 29, 2021
Start Date: May-June 2021
- Cover Letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- Unofficial graduate transcript
To apply for this position, please visit our job listings and search for the Administrative Internship.
If you have questions, please contact our Program Administrator, Kate Quigley.
Why Choose Our Admin Fellowship or Internship Program?
The program is sponsored by Florence Chang, our Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer. Each Fellow and Intern is paired with an executive mentor throughout the program. Additionally, you will be working with different executives throughout the system on your projects.
Access & Accessibility
You’ll be exposed to senior-level decision-making and participate in executive meetings including Board meetings and System Executive Council.
Graduates of this program have gone on to leadership roles throughout MultiCare.
Time for Learning
In addition to “learning by doing”, you’ll have dedicated time to focus on your own development through formal classes, networking, a fellow book club, and industry conferences.
Questions? If you have questions about the Administrative Fellowship & Internship Program, please contact our Program Administrator, Kate Quigley at [email protected].